IA, ID, CA, WA, and WY 2015 Tips

By Shandi Martinez, License Application Service Manager, May 2015

Application season is winding down, and most of the big deadlines have passed. Soon you’ll know if you got lucky and drew a tag this year or if you need to find something to fill your schedule this fall. If you still need a tag, you can purchase tickets for most of the state governor type raffles. We help members buy tickets for the best state raffles and have drawn some of the best tags in the West for our clients.

Iowa only offers an online or a telephone application. If you’ve never applied in Iowa before and you were born after January 1, 1972, you are required to submit proof of hunter education before applying. Give them a call at 800-367-1188 and they will set up your account and tell you where to fax your hunter education card or certificate.

When you apply online, you must first add the habitat fee to your cart, then the hunting license, and then the deer license. You are required to buy an any deer tag and an antlerless only tag. If you are unsuccessful in the draw, they will refund all the fees, including the license, minus the $50 point fee. If you don’t want to draw this year, you can apply for Points Only for $50.

If you applied for sheep, moose, or goat in Idaho this year, you can’t apply for deer, elk, or antelope. For deer, elk, and antelope, you are not required to submit the entire tag fee to apply, but you do have to purchase a non-refundable hunting license. This is hard for some people to justify since Idaho does not have a point system.

Idaho offers an online and a paper application. As with most states, we recommend you apply online as it’s the easiest way to avoid making a mistake or submitting the wrong fees. When applying online, Idaho has a two-step process. First, you have to purchase your hunting license and check out completely. After you purchase your license, they will give you a receipt that shows your license number. You’ll need that number in order to apply for a controlled hunt and to look up your draw results later on, so hang on to it. The second step is fairly easy, you’ll just want to make sure you know the four-digit hunt code for the unit you want to apply for as they don’t show them online, and make sure you’re using current regulations as the hunt codes may change every other year.

California does not offer paper applications. You can apply online, over the phone, or in person. Every applicant, no matter the age, must show proof of hunter education or that you are not a first-time hunter. If you have ever applied for California before, they keep that information in their system and you don’t have to provide it every year. If it’s your first time applying, you must submit proof before you can apply, either a copy of your hunter education or a copy of a hunting license issued from any state within the last 2 years will suffice. You must first go online and create an account where you will be issued a GO ID number. You can then either fax your proof of hunter ed to 916-419-7585 or email it toLRB@wildlife.ca.gov. Include your GO ID number along with your name and phone number. It might take them a few days, but you can check your account online and it will tell you when it has been added. Once your account is updated, you can purchase your non-refundable hunting license and select the species you want to apply for.

Washington only offers an online or a phone application process; they do not accept paper applications, and they only accept Visa or MasterCard. Proof of hunter education is required for anyone born after January 1, 1972, however you only have to show proof to purchase your license once you’ve been drawn for a tag.

When applying online, you first have to purchase your applications and check out completely, and then you have to go to a completely different place on their website and submit the applications you purchased. If you don’t go in and submit them, you won’t be in the draw and you won’t get your money back, so make sure you complete this second step. For the first step, go to “Special Permit Applications” on their homepage, and there is a link to purchase your application and a link to submit your application. Purchasing your applications is fairly easy, just make sure you choose the right applications because they won’t issue any refunds if you purchase a ewe application on accident. Make sure you select “ram” and “any moose” when applying for sheep and moose. After checking out, go to “Special Permit Applications” and select “Submit Your Application.” Then you just have to input your information, select the applications you purchased, and choose your units. There is no payment required for the second step.

Wyoming only allows applicants to apply online. When applying for the draw, applicants must pay the entire tag fees at the time of application using a Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express. If you just want a point this year, you only have to pay the point fees up front, which are different for every species. The application period for Points Only is July to September.

Wyoming offers different priced licenses for deer and antelope. The only difference between the Special license and the Regular license is the draw odds. The Special licenses cost more to apply for, and in most cases, the Special license has better odds than the Regular license. Once the tag is issued, the licenses are for the same area and offer the same privileges, regardless of which one you applied for. We list the odds for both in this issue, so compare the odds of the different licenses in the unit you want and decide if the increase in odds is worth the extra money to you. It might make the difference in guaranteeing you a tag or not. Wyoming also uses “types” to signify limitations on a unit. It can be for the gender, the season dates, the type of weapon permitted, or the portion of a unit the license is valid for.

If you draw a tag this year, we’d love to help you in any way we can! We have a lot of resources to make sure you’re successful on your hunt. Give us a call.